Information for attendees of 1000 Miles Apart 2019 in Winnipeg, September 26 to 29, 2019.
On this page
1000 Miles Apart events will be at the University of Manitoba Fort Garry Campus. From downtown Winnipeg, about 20–40 minutes drive or 30–50 minute bus ride.
- ARTlab, 180 Dafoe Road, rooms 136 and 368 (Google, Apple).
- Ceramics and Sculpture Building, 47 Service Road 1 S, room 115 (Google, Apple).
- Art Barn, 21 Service Street 3 S, room 139 (Google, Apple).
- Contemporary Traditions and Allusions: Anderson, Fowler and Ten Zulu Potters, Collections Gallery, School of Art Gallery, in ARTlab, main floor near the entrance.
- 1000 Miles Apart Exhibition 2019 – Students, Faculty, and Visiting Artists at the School of Art Student Gallery, Taché Arts Complex 2 (south wing), room T1-158H, main floor near the SW entrance set back from Maclean Crescent.
The University is served by Winnipeg Transit routes 36, 51, 60, 72, 75, 76, 78, 160, 161, 162, 170, and 185. The quickest way to get to campus from downtown are the Rapid Transitway routes: 160 University of Manitoba and 161 University Super Express from downtown, and 185 Osborne Village Express from the Osborne Village neighbourhood.
Bus stops for ARTlab and Taché Arts Complex, are at U of M Station on Dafoe Road, right in front of ARTlab. For the Ceramics and Sculpture Building and the Art Barn, the Dafoe at Agriculture stops (60105 Westbound and 61253 Eastbound) are a block closer.
Google and Apple maps provide transit directions in Winnipeg.
The campus is accessible by bicycle by a combination of low-stress streets and off-street cycleways, including the South Winnipeg Parkway from the north or south, via the Bishop Grandin Greenway from the east or west.
Lock up at bike racks around campus. UMCycle Bike Kiosk at the corner of Sydney Smith and Curry Place has a full-service bike shop and a self-serve maintenance station.
Car for Hire
Winnipeg cab companies are Unicity and Duffy’s. Ride-hailing is by TappCar.
Parking on Campus
Between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., use public parking at a meter, Park & Pay area, or the University Parkade. After hours, you can park in any campus lot that is not marked 24-hour reserved.
- University of Manitoba Parking Services
- Fort Garry Campus parking map (PDF)
Suggested hotels near the University of Manitoba. Book early as prices may rise. Prices subject to change. All of these hotels are located on Pembina Highway, making it easy to access the University of Manitoba by bus or car.
Downtown hotels are accessible via Rapid Transit busses (see above).
Holiday Inn Winnipeg South = Double queen room (advanced booking)
- Website: holidayinn.com
- Address: 1330 Pembina Hwy, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2B4
- Phone: 204-452-4747 or 1-877-660-8550
- Starting at $121.00 CAD per night
Best Western Pembina Inn & Suites = Double queen room (advanced booking)
- Website: bestwestern.com
- Address: 1714 Pembina Highway, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2G2
- Phone: 204-269-8888 or 1-800-780-7234
- Starting at $138 CAD per night
- Free full breakfast
Four Points By Sheraton Winnipeg South = Double queen room (pre-paid rate)
- Website: marriott.com
- Address: 2935 Pembina Highway · Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3T 2H5
- Phone: 204-275-7711 or 1-800-368-7764
- Starting at $148 CAD per night
- Includes breakfast for two
Canad Inns Fort Garry = Double queen room
- Website: canadinns.com
- Address: 1824 Pembina Highway, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2G2
- Phone: 204-261-7450 or 1-888-332-2623
- Starting at $155 per night
Comfort Inn Suites South Winnipeg
- Website: choicehotels.com
- Address: 3109 Pembina Hwy, Winnipeg, MB R3T 4R6
- Phone: 204-269-7390 or 1-877-424-6423
- Starting at $98 per night
- Free full breakfast